Tuesday, December 30, 2014

2014 in Review

As I sit down to do my year in review of 2014, I realized a couple of things:

1. This year was full in so many great ways; and
2. 2015 is going to be even bigger.

Here we go- 2014 in a nutshell:

January


We started the year off with this sweet face! I adopted him in January 2011 and it's been mayhem love ever since. He is SO lucky he is cute!

Next up was Kim's birthday! We celebrated by going out to din din and the Blow Dry bar. Love these ladies and love that Kim was born at the beginning of the year, so there is always a celebration to look forward to after Christmas/New Years!

 
I tried out my domestic skills for Kim's bday. And that animal that I mentioned I love so much? Yeah- he ate Kim's cake. Tragic. 


 We carb loaded during out annual pre-Houston Marathon carb loading dinner. It's fun even if you aren't running. This year was at Bucca di Beppo and they didn't disappoint. I'm already excited for carb loading 2015.

 This was my third time running the Houston Half. And once again- it didn't disappoint. A great, flat course and a great crowd.
Tatum was running the full, and I was able to run into him and wish him good luck right before we started!

February

Krob's birthday in February, so we had another reason to celebrate! We exchange those birthday glasses every year with the date and a birthday wish!
 We got tickets to SING and made the annual trip to Waco to watch. It's always a great time and it makes me nostalgic for those good ol' days back at Baylor.
 I got domestic again for Valentine's Day and made chocolate dipped pretzels. I impressed myself with my sprinkling skills.
Ran the Austin Half Marathon, where I clearly needed a tan (these Houston winters are tough :) ), developed a blister on a very important part of my foot and decided I should probably train more for hills.
My support system came to cheer me on! He wasn't running this one because he was way injured with a stress fracture. My PSA for the day: when it hurts- it's probably best to stop and let your body heal.

March
When the first warm-ish day arrives in Houston, it's best spent celebrated on an outdoor patio with friends, frozen mojitos and Sangria. 

 The pet palooza. I think this picture needs no description.
 The Houston rodeo- we got Krob tickets to see Reba for her bday. It was fabulous and I had the best time watching Reba with the ladies.
 There was also that time I kept making fun of Bob Costas during the Olympic broadcasts. Like- really making fun of him and then Aaron and I also developed some eye issues of our own.
Aaron and I went closing night of the Houston Rodeo to watch one of my faves- Zac Brown Band!

April

 Aaron and I on our annual post-Easter service bike ride.

 An evening at the Menil. April is typically the time when things start warming up around here, and we can get out and enjoy some outdoorsy things. That night, Aaron and I watched some short films at the Menil Collection here in Houston.
 Another day, another bike ride. We don't get on our bikes much during the winter. One, because we are typically training for a race and two- it's pretty chilly.
 Annual Ho-Family adult Easter Egg Hunt and Party. This is a great tradition!
We even include egg-dyeing at the party!

May
My special roomslice (roomie for two years in college and sorority sister) graduated from Law School and I am so proud of her!
 Memorial Day bike ride in Belton. Aaron and I took a weekend trip to Belton to spend some time with his fam and we brought the dogs and bikes along with us. Such a fun time.
Corner Table Anniversary. If you haven't been- its great and they went all out for their anniversary party.
 Sprint for Life 5k. This is a race benefiting ovarian cancer and my work had a booth. So I figured I'd run to support!
And Cinco de Mayo. Side note: Krob and I bought these dresses on a spring break cruise many moons ago. We bust them out every year for Cinco de Mayo!

June (i.e. lots of outdoor time and lots of pool time)

June is the month of bike riding and snow cones. I can really appreciate a snow cone after a long, hot bike ride. And Friohana (formerly Texas Blizzard) is superior to the rest!
 So, I'm not quite sure what exactly was going on here, but we spent alot of time at the pool, and alot of time people watching at the pool this summer. We would literally send out the pool text, grab some snacks and park ourselves poolside. The best kind of summer!
 And hot dogs at baseball games. Jokes on me.
 Friday night fireworks and a baseball game at Minute Maid Park scream summer to me.

 Aaron's birthday is in June. And we always try to surprise each other for birthdays. This year, I wanted the group to do an activity. And the Pedal Party did not disappoint. It was so much fun, and I'm already trying to think of a theme and date for the next time we can all go.
 Group pic. The theme was "Murica," which coincidentally also fell on the same day the US was playing in the World Cup!
 Roomie pic! Love her!
 Yellow Party. I always run into men with my same yellow pants- and they always feel the need to point it out....
Girl's trip to float the river and wine taste in Fredericksburg. Already thinking of when we can go back! Love these ladies and love all the strange things that happen to us.
 We made it to Luckenback, which was incredibly cool! I am officially a true Texan.
The proof. 

July

 July 4th was the annual Ho-Family 4th of July Party. I got domestic again for the third time this year and made a star-shaped galette. #Imfancy
I mowed the lawn (alot this summer), which is oddly satisfying. I never want to do it, but when I do, I always feel very accomplished.
Aaron and I got out on the water lots this summer, which made my heart super happy. We still have a boat that hasn't been used, but we took advantage of kayaking and jet skiing.

August
(Remind me that this is probably the time next year that I need to start my Christmas shopping, because time moves so quickly from here until the end of the year)
 More time on the water. Hydroflying at it finest......
 Some of us were better hydro-flyers than others.
 It seemed alot higher at the time :)
 Ramping up some good base mileage for the marathon. And these were some hot miles.
 Andy got engaged!!!! Any excuse to put together a pretty package.
 Jenny came to visit. Jenny is an old college roommate and also sorority sister of mine and she has a very hectic work schedule. So anytime she has time to visit- we make it work!
 Andy's engagement party. So excited for August 2015!
Annnd, more baseball!

September
Aaron surprised me with a bday party at Hotel Galvez, swim-up bar and all. 28 has been good to me so far!
 Krob and I spent Labor Day kayaking and jetskiing away. We finished off the afternoon with some ceviche and an adult beverage on the Boondoggles patio.

 More bike riding.
Puckers the pug came to live in Houston and we are fans!

October
 Annual Ho-Family pumpkin carving party. Always a true expression of creativity....

 I think it's really cute that Aaron and Cody both decided to be twins and wear orange in honor of Halloween. I also love the man time they are enjoying with Puckers on the couch.
 Annual trip to Baylor for Homecoming! I love spending time with friends we haven't seen in awhile! And their baby bumps :)
Every year we talk about going to a real pumpkin patch to pick out a pumpkin. My family and I would go every year in California. It was a real live pumpkin patch and you could still see them on the vine. This patch did the trick this year, but it still wasn't anything like McGrath Farms. New patches, new traditions. They had some very cool activities at this patch and I would love to go back in 2015.
 Krob and I went to Trader Joes and purchased everything pumpkin. Yes. It's a true story. We are all about embracing the seasons, and I hope to make this a repeat tradition in 2015. My favorite thing out of this was by far the pumpkin butter. I mean- smother some of that, on top of some pumpkin cream cheese on a pumpkin bagel- and it's heaven!
This is a photo of the ladies at the pumpkin patch!

 My very first NFL game. Cowboys vs. the Texans. What a great game! Take me back now!
Aaron, Krob and I at the game. 

November

We kicked November off with our annual trip to the Nutcracker Market. This year, we both took Friday off and started out bright and early. We were there all. day. And those ladies are cray. It is always my kickoff to Christmas shopping.
 Fundraising gala with Kate and Kelli. Fun night and excited to meet Baby McKinley in 2015!
 Aaron and I headed to California for Thanksgiving to visit my family. The weather was gorgeous the entire time (in the 70's). We were able to get some good training runs in on the beach and spend some quality time with the fam.
 You can't beat this view on a run!
 We started Thanksgiving morning off with an 8-mile hike up in La Jolla Canyon. The view from the top.
 Blurry family pic.
We ended our trip with a bit of jet skiing out of the harbor. I didn't want to go at first because it was a bit windy out, but Aaron convinced me and I'm so glad I went. 

December
 December was a BIG month. Lots of travel and lots of excitement. On this weekend, Aaron and I met up with his family in Dallas to run the Sprint PCS Dallas Half Marathon. My first time to run this one and a great training run. Not my best race, but I took notes on things I can improve upon leading up to the marathon.
 Aaron got in on the sign action also!
 The hotel we stayed at was decorated SO nicely for Christmas!
 My race essentials. I live and die by the Nuun water!
 Post-race beverages!
 Pre-race pic!
 Annual Ho-Family Christmas party. It was tacky, so I busted out a Waco Goodwill find from back in the day.
 Back to California for Christmas. I was able to enjoy some more fantastic weather and some more training runs on the beach. Life is good.
 My cousin and I share the same birthday- so here is our twin selfie!
Pic with the fam! It's always such a hard time to get my sister to even look at the camera. Go figure, the time she looks- and my dad and I aren't..... Next time!

It's been a fantastic year with so many great memories. As we are never promised tomorrow, it makes me appreciate the small moments, which make the bigger moments even more special. I'm excited for the potential in store for 2015 and look forward to all there is to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment